French fries are one famous snack enjoyed by many people in many countries. The same is true with Nigeria. French fries are deep-fried slices of potatoes that are served hot and often consumed as an accompaniment to lunch or dinner or eaten as a snack. Fries are common in fast-food restaurants and often served with ketchup.
Potato Yield in Nigeria
Right now, potatoes have become one integral part of people’s cuisine. They are also the world’s fourth-largest food crop, which follows rice, wheat and maize. Nigeria, which is Africa’s most populous country, enjoys a pride place as to potato. Being the fourth biggest producer of potatoes in sub-Saharan Africa, Nigeria has almost the same land quantity as Germany which is used to plant the potato. According to a 2009 World Bank report on potatoes farming in Africa, Nigeria’s potato planting area are 270,000 hectares, potato yield amounts to 843,000 tonnes with 3.1 tones yield per hectare.
Potato Planting in Nigeria
The potato belongs to tuber crops and there are two main types– Irish potatoes which are planted through tubers and sweet potato which is planted through vines. In the late 19th century, the Irish potato was first brought to Nigeria.
Potato output in Nigeria mainly comes from Jos Plateau State and some of the LGAs in which potatoes are planted in large commercial quantities are Bokkos, Mangu, and B/Ladi, the average output of which are about 2800kg, 2950kg, 2886kg respectively. Plateau State can be referred to as the home of Irish potatoes for the chilled and favorable weather condition that is ideal for the cultivation of potatoes. Its altitude ranges from 1200-1400m above sea level, summer temperature is often lower than 35 degrees, which are ideal for potato production.
In Nigeria, the potato can have a lot of uses. Apart from using as a vegetable for cooking at home, it can also be used for industrial processing. As to the potato worldwide, approximately 50% of potatoes are consumed fresh and the rest are produced into potato food products, food ingredients, starch, or as seed tubers for next season planting. Nowadays, the main consumption of potatoes is french fries consumed in fast food restaurants.
French Fries Market in Nigeria
Fries Market in Nigeria
* Fast food sector in Nigeria contributes an annual revenue of N200 billion into the economic growth. Potato processed products such as french fries and wedges have approximately 8% share in the fast-food industry, among which french fries are the highest saleable potato products.
* Frozen french fries market in Nigeria is national. The population of Nigeria is over 165 million, the predicted national population growth rate is 5.7% per annum, the market for frozen fries is large.
* Local market size for frozen french fries is predicted at about 40 tons every normal weekday. However, during holidays, vacations, weekends, and the summer season, this number will double.
Where to Enjoy French Fries
Along with globalization, the eating habits of Nigeria are changing to west style. So the consumption of Western-style fast food is rising. Fast food potential market size is increasing at an exponential growth rate. The entry of world-famous fast-food chains such as KFC is evidence. Apart from fast-food chains, there are large numbers of local restaurants, hotels where people can enjoy french fries. Being highly favored by clients, french fries are an essential element in restaurant menus. Frozen french fries consume quantities ranging from 50kg to 1,000kg per day in restaurants.
Main Consumers to Enjoy French Fries
The main consumers of french fries are children, teenagers, and young people. The most popular destination for enjoying french fries is home instead of school. 70% of children eat fries at home, while only 48% of children eat them at school. After school, 70% of children choose crisps and savory snacks compared to lunchboxes.
Increasing Demands for Frozen French Fries
Demand for fast food products is increasing over the years, which can be shown by the growth and remarkable performance of fast-food restaurants in the local market. Besides, more and more women are going out for work nowadays, which also leads to the increasing demands for the easy to prepare foods.
French Fries in World Market
It is well known that french fries are very popular all over the world and beloved by many people. Potato crisp is the most popular snack in many developed countries for many years. Taking American for example, Americans eat more than 16 pounds of French fries every year. The world market for french fries is large and they can be produced in Nigeria. French fries are produced by the fries production line and come out with a variety of flavors, enjoyed with various dipping sauces.
How to Produce French Fries
As to how to produce french fries, our french fries production line can be adopted. Which can save energy and cost, customizing are also available. Five models of the french fries production line for customers to choose from, 300kg/h, 500kg/h, 1000kg/h, 1500kg/h, and 2000 kg/h.
Production Flow of French Fries Production Line
Potato Washing and Peeling Machine→Potato Cutting Machine→Fries Blanching Machine→Fries De-watering Machine→Fries Frying Machine→Fries De-oiling Machine→Fries Flavoring Machine→Fries Packing Machine
Main Functions of Each Machine
* Potato washing and peeling machine: as to peeling and washing machine, two models are available: emery type and brush type potato washing and peeling machine, both of these machines can finish washing and peel completely and efficiently.
* Potato cutting machine: this machine can cut potatoes into a different shapes.
* French fries blanching machine: blanch fries into bright color and keep their fresh flavor, increasing softness.
* Fries de-watering machine: it is to remove the surface water of the fries after blanching.
* Fries frying machine: fry french fries. It adopts water and oil mixing technology to fry fries, which can also save 50% of oil and 40% of energy.
* Fries de-oiling machine: remove extra oil contained in fries. It can make fries crisper and easy to store and pack.
* Fries flavoring machine: flavor the fries. After flavoring, fries can have different tastes.
* Fries packing machine: pack fries. Fries can be easy to store and transport after packing, besides they can also make fries reserved for a long time.
It is really a good idea to start a fries production business in Nigeria considering the following favorable factors, available raw material together with increasing largely home and abroad market, and high-quality french fries production line.