French fried onions are made from small onion slices that are covered with a batter and then deep-fried until crispy. They are typically used as toppings for various dishes, such as baked potatoes, meatloaf, stir fry, tacos, salads, soups, and chili. They can also be used in coating foods as a substitute for breadcrumbs.
How To Make French Fried Onions
1. Peel the onions and slice very thinly. Separate the onion slices and place them in a shallow dish. Pour the milk over the slices and let them soak for at least an hour.
2. Mix flour, paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
3. Heat oil in a large frying pan to 375 degrees F, or until a few flour sizzles when sprinkled over the pan.
4. Take a handful of onions from the milk and roll them in the flour mixture.
5. Shake off the excess flour and fry the onions in the oil. You can use a spoon to break them up.
6. When the onions are golden brown, remove them from the oil and drain them on a paper towel-lined plate, and season to taste.
7. Store the rest in an air-tight container to keep them fresh.
Note: French fried onions are not to be confused with Fried Rings, which are large deep-fried onions associated with fast food and casual dining, similar to French fried potatoes.
Where To Find French Fried Onions
If you don’t want to make them by yourself, you can also buy them as prepared food. Many food stores sell fried onions, which are usually in with the canned vegetables, prepared by some companies, such as Durkee and French’s. If you can’t find them, you can request a comment card at the checkout and request that product. Some restaurants may also use freshly made fried onions as garnishes.